Who doesn’t love of bowl of perfectly seasoned chili on a cold winter day? This chili amps up the flavour compared to your average chili, with its fresh salsa and a kick of lime.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup salsa, fresh is best
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatos with green chilis
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional: cheddar cheese and sour cream for serving
- Drizzle olive oil into a large non-stick saucepan over medium high heat. Add ground beef and saute until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks (being careful not to do it too often as you will make the beef grey). Drain beef onto a plate, reserving 1 tbsp of the oil in the pan. Set beef aside.
- Add green onions, yellow onion and garlic to the pan and saute over medium heat until tender about 3 minutes. Add salsa, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cocoa powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper, lime juice, cilantro, chicken broth and browned ground beef. Reduce heat to low, cover saucepan and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in kidney beans, black beans and pinto beans and cook over medium heat until heated through about 10 minutes. Serve warm with optional cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Serves 6
For step-by-step instructions for this recipe and more, visit Cooking Classy.