This recipe uses a flavourful mix of turkey sausage and lean ground beef. It’s mildly spiced, so will appeal to most kids.
- 12 ounces mild turkey sausage
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili, chopped (optional)
- 1 can (16 ounces) sodium reduced whole tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) sodium reduced tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) sodium reduced beef broth
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Remove sausage from casings and place in large saucepan, along with ground beef. Cook until browned and drain well.
- Add onion and jalapeno and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 - 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and add hot pepper sauce if desired.
- Makes 8 servings.