Get creative with this unique sugar cookie jigsaw puzzle that’s fun to make and to receive!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 round, different sizes, for snowman
- small star
- Christmas tree
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- blue food colouring
- pastry brush for applying corn syrup
- yellow, pink and blue sugar
- white snowflakes
- Green, brown and white sprinkle
- chocolate teenys (tiny, coloured and round)
- round candy for buttons and tree star
- orange gummy candy (cut to shape of carrot)
- cake board
- plastic wrap
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar, then beat on high until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking power. Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour mixture.
- Place dough in centre of prepared cooking sheet and, using floured rolling pin, roll out to 10”x12” rectangle. Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack. Using the photo as a guide, press floured round cookie cutters into warm cookie to create the snowman. Repeat with Christmas tree and stars, being careful to leave all parts of the cookie in place. Carefully cut geometric shapes to create jigsaw pieces.
- Return the cookie to the oven and bake for another 12-14 minutes until edges are light brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
- In small pot, bring corn syrup to a boil for one minute. Remove from heat. Pour half of the corn syrup into a small bowl to use on the sky.
- The Sky: Stir in 5 drops blue food colouring into small bowl of corn syrup. Brush blue corn syrup on top of cookie and sprinkle lightly with blue sugar. Top with a couple of snowflakes.
- The Stars: Cover with yellow sugar. Turn each piece upside down and shake off excess sugar.
- The Trees: Apply a layer of green sprinkles for the tree and brown for the tree trunk. Add chocolate teenys as tree decorations. Top the tree with yellow round candy, using corn syrup to adhere if needed.
- The Snowman: Cover with white sprinkles, use round candy for buttons, chocolate teenys for eyes and cut orange gummy as nose.
- The Foreground: Cover with snowflakes.
- Once all pieces have been decorated and returned, let dry about 5 hours. When totally dry, trim parchment paper to edges of cookie.
- Roll out plastic wrap to 2 times the length of your cake board. Place cake board to one end of the plastic wrap, leaving a 2 inch edge. Carefully slide the completed cookie onto cake board, then wrap the entire board with plastic wrap, securing all the edges.
To package for gift giving: Wrap in clear cellophane, tucking the excess behind and taping.