The many ways in which your baby benefits.
Like most parents, you probably instinctively sing to your baby to lull her to sleep or calm her down.
But you may not know just how much baby benefits when you sing to him. Here are 10 ways babies learn when we warble simple tunes.
- Bonding: When you sing to your baby, she bonds with you and your voice. Singing makes yours the first and most important voice in her life. Your baby learns that you love her!
- Transitions: A baby feels safe when life is predictable. A song for waking up, sleeping, and other routine transitions and activities helps him know what comes next.
- Language: Language is in itself musical, and when you sing and speak, your baby learns about words, language, and communication. Through your singing, baby’s language comprehension begins.
- New words: While you sing and hold your baby, you introduce new vocabulary. When you hold up a stuffed dog as you sing about a dog, baby learns to associate the name of that toy with the words you sing. When you sing about parts of the body and kiss your baby’s feet or tickle her tummy, she learns new words.
- Rhythm and rhyme: Music includes rhythm and rhyme, an important part of language deverlopment. In time, baby will recognize these.
- Play: Singing is one of many methods of play and “sing-play” is a fun way to interact with babies.
- Family fun: Singing is a great way to involve older siblings in welcoming a new baby to the home. Singing to and playing with baby builds a bond between siblings. Make singing a family activity.
- Singing names: A baby can learn his name by hearing it in songs. Try substituting other words in songs with your baby’s name so he hears his name sung over and over again.
- Listening skills: Like reading, singing is an activity that requires listening. It’s another opportunity for your baby to begin to understand language and feelings expressed through language and sing-play.
- Love: All of the above boils down to using your singing voice as a way to express love. Babies don’t care if you are a great singer. They only care that you are singing to THEM! In their eyes (and their ears), you are a star!