This is a great way to pack some crispy green veggies into a flavourful gouda-based mac and cheese.
- 1 lb (500 g) macaroni
- ½ cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 onion, diced
- ½ cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 4 cups (1 L) whole milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35% whipping cream
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Srirracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 7 cups (1.75 L) medium Gouda, grated
- 1¾ cups (425 mL) Smoked Gouda, grated
- 3½ oz (100 g) Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups (500 mL) kale, stemmed, torn
- 1 cup (250 mL) brussels sprouts, shaved
- 1 cup (250 mL) florets broccoli, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- ½ tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) aged Gouda, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup (60 mL) butter, melted
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. In large pot of boiling, salted water, cook macaroni for half the time directed on package. Drain and cool under cold water; set aside.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium heat; add onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in flour and cornstarch; cook, stirring until smooth. Gradually stir in milk and cream; cook, stirring until smooth and thickened, about 7 minutes. Add mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat; slowly stir in Medium and Smoked Gouda and Blue cheeses. Stir in macaroni. Pour into prepared dish; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). In large bowl, toss together kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, oil, salt, and pepper; spread evenly over a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 10 min or until greens are wilted.
- In medium bowl, combine, cheese, breadcrumbs and butter; stir in greens and sprinkle over macaroni. Place baking dish on rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 min or until bubbly and golden.
Recipe and photo courtesy The Grate Canadian Cheese Cook-Off